Thursday, December 4, 2008

Little Fish in a Big Pond

Do you ever feel that way sometimes.... like you're just a little fish in a big pond? What I can possibly do or say that is really going to change the world? Well, the truth is, there is nothing you or I can do or say without God that really matters.

I was watching Seabiscuit last night. I'm not much of a movie watcher, I'm a little too restless to sit still that long. When I finally sit down to watch one it is generally several years old. So, I'm sure most of you have seen this movie. It was fantastic. My 8 year old kept asking me why Peter Parker was riding the horse. If you didn't see Spiderman, you won't get that one :) Anyway, there was a clear message to me in this movie... little people - all of us really - can do big things when we have the right instructor.

Our God is the Ultimate Instructor! He always sees something in us even when we're broken. He doesn't give up on us, even when others want to shoot us down. He sees a prize in us!

I noticed another thing too in this movie... Seabiscuit and his trainer never stopped working hard. It is so important that we work and serve. I truly the believe the day we stop serving in some way - sacrificially - is the day our relationship with Christ heads in a backward direction. Sure, we're going to get knocked down and burned. Sometimes people may even say it's time to hang up the saddle - but we know the truth! The truth is, we serve an almighty God. And serve is a verb! An action word!

God wants to do extraordinary things through you! Have you settled for ordinary because you're not giving God enough room to do extraordinary things through you?

As we're approaching a new year, and many of us make resolutions, I am encouraging all of my friends to take a look at how we can all serve a little more this new year. What can I do for the Kingdom? What can I give up to give more?

Have a blessed day! Smile at someone today.... you never know what they're going through.

No comments: